Church Treasurer Job Opportunity
First Covenant Church, Salina KS
If interested please send a copy of your resume and a cover letter expressing your interest to:
Wes Gibson | Executive Pastor
785-823-3792 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Feel free to contact Wes if you have questions or would like more information.
Treasurer Job Description
Reports to: Finance Board, Church Council, and the Congregation
Staff Supervisor: Executive Pastor
Term of Ministry: Indefinite term at the pleasure of Council & Congregation
Time Requirements: 50 -60 hours average per month (Varies month to month. Budget time and Year-End require more time)
Education/Experience: Accounting or bookkeeping training or experience. Working knowledge of QuickBooks or similar bookkeeping software.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Policies: Follow the policies and guidelines established in the Financial Policies Handbook.
- Accounting: Maintain accurate accounting in QuickBooks Desktop Version with Payroll. Maintain a minimum of weekly off-site backups.
- Password Maintenance: Maintain all online password accounts. Finance Chair should have a copy of these accounts along with user id and passwords. (Current accounts include: Bennington State Bank, Chase, Federal Payroll, State Payroll, KS Secretary of State, Off-site Backup, and QuickBooks)
- Asset Account Maintenance: Checking, Money Market & Investment Accounts (Maintain signature cards, proper balances, and reconciliations)
- Distribution of Funds: Timely payment of approved bills and check requests (approximately 160 checks per month)
- Payroll: Semi-Monthly, most are direct deposit (25 – 30 employees)
- Federal Payroll Deposits/Reports: Semi-Monthly 941 Deposits, Quarterly 941 Report, Annual W2 Distribution, and Annual W3 Report.
- State Payroll Deposits/Reports: Semi-Monthly State WH Deposits, and Annual State WH Reports.
- Kansas Secretary of State: Annual Corporation Report and Sales Tax Exemption Report when due.
- Workers Compensation Audit: Annual audit by Church Mutual Insurance Company.
- Finance Board Meeting: Attend and present the Treasurer’s Report. Provide account detail reports as requested.
- Church Council Meeting: Provide the Treasurer’s Report. Provide account detail reports as requested. Attendance upon request. (approx. 4 times per year)
- Church Staff & Board Chairs: Provide a monthly Treasurer’s Report. Provide detail upon request. Currently, the office staff will forward these reports if you email them to the office and request they be distributed. Meet with staff on an as needed basis.
- Congregational Meetings: Attend and provide the Treasurer’s Report (3-4 meetings a year). Presentation of the Treasurer’s Report upon request. Answer questions from church members upon request.
- Annual Budget Preparation: Assist Finance Chair and Executive Pastor with coordination of the budget process. Prepare worksheet and budget history reports for board chairs, compile budget data and present to Finance Board and Church Council. Prepare the proposed budget approved by Church Council for congregational meeting and approved budget for annual report.
- Record/File Maintenance: Renew file cabinets at the beginning of each fiscal year by archiving the old records in storage and creating new folders for the new fiscal year.
- Records Review: Assist in the Annual Financial Review of church records as outlined in the Financial Policies Handbook.